Water Tower in Kolomenskoye

In the 1670’s, in order to supply the palace in the Kolomenskoye country residence with water, a water tower was built. With the help of special mechanisms water was taken from a well and delivered to all residents.
In the eastern wing of the palace one can find white stone pool with wells and tubes, the remnants of the water pumping system. At the same time the water tower served as a passage tower leading to the Ascension garden and the village of Dyakovo. In the first half of the 18th century, when St. Petersburg became the capital of the Russia, the Kolomenskoye country residence lost its functions. As a result water pumping system and some other structures of the Tsar’s Courtyard were not used any more.
At the end of the 18th century, in order to prepare the residence for Catherine the Great’s visit, repair and reconstruction works were held, and they affected the water tower. Later, in 1781, architect N. Kolbe reconstructed the tower but he painted it in pink instead of white. The roof was covered with metal plates imitating wood. At the beginning of the 20th century, repair works including the reconstruction of roof, well and premises were held under the guidance of Peter Baranovsky.
In the middle of the 20th century, restoration works of water pumping system elements, such as cleaning of the pool, the strengthening of the foundations, reconstruction of white stone walls and a brick vault of the pool, took place.
In 1978, under the guidance of N. Sveshnikov more restoration works were held including restoration of roof and façades, replacement of shabby bricks, cleaning of the metal gate, strengthening of the foundation.
In 2007, the authorities held a scientific restoration of the monument. Now the Water Tower is included in the ‘Water Supply System at the Tsar’s Courtyard’ exposition.

Share to LiveJournal
Share to MyWorld
Share to Odnoklassniki