In the second half of the 1770s, the palace ensemble was centered on the lower terrace zone of the park, nearer to theYauzaRiver. The regularAnnengofGardenwas turned into a landscape park that received the name of Annengof Grove.
The project of the present Grotto was implemented by Nicolaas Bidloo at the beginning of the 1720s. In the 1730s, the dam as well as the Grotto were rebuilt by Francesco Rastrelli and as a result, a new fountain complex was shaped.
The structure known as the dam must have been renovated in the 1770s-1780s during the construction of the Catherine the GreatPalace. According to the registers of 1793 and 1797 there were 8 white stone quaysides, wooden summerhouses, stone and wooden bridges, fountains and two grottos one of which was decorated with the Venus with Cupids statue.
Nowadays only a basis wall has been preserved that was named the Venus dam.
The Venus dam is located to the south-west of the Golovinsky pond separating it from the neighbouring Krestovy (Cross) pond. The central part of the dam basis wall is designed as an avant-corps with a semicircular niche for a statue. Water came through the dam from Golovinsky pond into a channel surrounding an octahedral island.