The stockaded fort situated on the left bank of the Angara River. The fort had three towers that surmounted household structures and one passage-tower with a barn and chapel. By the beginning of the 18th century the Bratsk stockaded fort had lost its military significance.
In the 19th century the remaining south-western and north-western towers became part of the church fence in the Bratskoye village. During the construction of the Bratsk hydro power station, the territory of the stockaded fort turned out to be within the boundaries of a planned storage pond. Before flooding the old town of Bratsk the authorities held a very close examination of the fort remnants including archeological excavation.
At the end of the 1950’s the southern-western tower was transported to the Angara Village museum not far from the modern city of Bratsk, and the northern-western one is now located in the Kolomensloye museum in Moscow. During the rebuilding of the towers on their new sites some missing elements were reconstructed, particularly, a bottom row of the logs discovered during the excavation, the porch and stairs to the first floor, as well as watchmen towers. In the 1970’s, wooden monuments in the Kolomenskoye museum were under repair, so the roof and porch of the tower were renovated. By the end of the 1990’s, the same parts of the tower had to be restored again as well as the fort fence (tyn) that was re-installed in the museum after transportation.
In 2007 a complex restoration of the monument took place: the bottom row of the logs was reconstructed, some elements made of modern materials were added in order to increase the strength of the wooden parts of the tower, surface decay was removed. During the reconstruction new methods, such as reinforcement and gluing of weakened wooden parts, were implemented with the help of instruments produced according to the samples of those used during the construction of the tower.