The refectory of the St. George the Victorious Church (built in the middle of the XIX century) standing at Ascension Square, and St. George the Victorious Bell Tower (XVI century) make up a united St. George the Victorious Church complex.
According to legends, in the XIV century there was a wooden church standing on that very site that was built by order of Prince Dmitry Ivanovich Donskoy in memory of St. George the Victorious and the battle of Kulikovo (8 September, 1380). Results of the archeological excavations proved the existence of an ancient wooden church on this site.
In the XVI century, St. George the Victorious Bell Tower was erected. It served as belfry for the Church of Ascension. In the XVII century, a wooden refectory was built, and the whole St. George the Victorious Church complex was consecrated in 1678.
In the XIX century, the old refectory was deconstructed and rebuilt in stone according to the project of Eugraph Tyurin.
In 1929, architect Peter Baranovsky held restoration of the St. George the Victorious Bell Tower and deconstructed part of the refectory. In 2005-2006, the refectory was renovated and the original view of the St. George the Victorious Church was reconstructed.
Bell tolling at the St. George Tower in Kolomenskoye
Every 15 minutes with breaks
Every day from 1.30 p.m. till 3.30 p.m.
except for Mondays and Tuesdays
Bell ringer – Yevgeny Fokin