St George the Victorious Church (1685) in Kolomenskoye

The wooden church named after great martyr St. George the Victorious was built in the North of Russia, on the bank of the shallow Yorga River, right tributary of the full-flowing Northern Dvina Riverin its upper reaches.

It was a cold church with no Russian oven and services were held there only during warm seasons. The church was located in the centre of the Srednepogostsky parish, standing separately from neighboring villages.

At the end of the XVII century, there were two other wooden structures nearby: a bell tower and a heated Church of the Nativity that was built in the XVII century and at that time was the main one in the local churchyard as it gave its name to the parish. There is no information as to when first churches were built on that site and how they looked like: in the 1720s, the Church of the Nativity as well as all the documents kept there were destroyed by a fire.

The wooden St. George theVictoriousChurchtransported from thevillageofSemenovskoyeinArkhangelskregion is one of the multi-storeyed churches typical of the XVII and XVIII centuries. It is a two-storeyed building made of pine logs with the main tetragon log structure built over a high ground floor that was used for household needs. Windows are located in the upper part of the northern and western walls of the tetragon as well as in the bottom part of its southern wall. The main tetragon is made with an upward widening and is covered with a hip roof. A pentahedral sanctuary with a five-sided hip roof and a smaller barrel-shaped roof surmounted by a cupola is attached to it on the east. Under the roof of the main tetragon a row of old planks nailed to the upper timber work of its widened part was found. It had a painted inscription made in the XVII century and almost worn away that indicated the date of the church consecration: ‘April7196’(the date was put according to the Byzantine Calendar and corresponds to 1688). There were only three earlier findings of this kind before despite a great number of Russian wooden churches.

Share to LiveJournal
Share to MyWorld
Share to Odnoklassniki