The exposition makes part of the Museum of Wooden Architecture.
A legend has it that the monastery was founded by St. Euphemius of Karelia at the turn of the XV century. It was situated at the Northern Dvina outflow, not far from the White Sea. The monastery was first mentioned in a chronicle in 1419. Gradually it became the first Russian sea port that accepted overseas ships and for a hundred years remained an important traffic centre.
In 1731, the writer and great scientist Mikhail Lomonosov set for studies to Moscow from the monastery.
At the end of the XVII century, a new solid wall with seven towers was erected around the monastery. In the eastern part of the wall, a new pine log passage tower with a folding gate was erected in the place of the disassembled Epiphany Church.
Until recently, the tower that you can see was attributed to 1691 – 1692. But, as has been proved by experts in latest research, it could have been erected only after the fire of 1798 that destroyed all the walls and towers built a century before.
In 2007, the tower was disassembled, restored using the traditional carpenters´ technique applied in the XVII – XVIII centuries, and transported to a new place, to become part of the open-air museum.
The tower had no military function, which was typical of wooden towers at late XVII century monasteries. It was a household structure and at the same time, a symbol of spiritual strength.
Outdoor tours only. The territory of the museum-reserve is open from 8 a.m. till 9 p.m.
The exposition is open from May till October.
Age category: 6+
‘Kolomenskaya’ subway station