A one-storeyed brick structure for pensioners of the military alms-house was built in 1862 on the site of the existing building. The commandant is known to have lived himself in that house later, which explains its name.
At the end of the XIX century the first floor and a brick lobby were built on to the house.
The ground floor is decorated with a profiled cornice, window frames and other elements while the newer first storey is not so pretentiously adorned.
The House of the Commandant is an example of a living house built at the second half of the XIX century and typical forMoscowarchitecture.