A wooden church of Our Lady of Kazan was built at the Tsar’s Courtyard in Kolomenskoye in the 1630s during the reign of Tsar Mikhail Feodorovich. In 1651, the wooden church was replaced with a brick one that has been preserved till our days.
The church, which served as a family temple for royalties, is devoted to the Our Lady of Kazan icon, the most respected icon inRussia. According to beliefs of many Russian tsars from the Romanov dynasty, they managed to ascend the throne thanks to the protection of this icon.
The church was connected to the woodenPalaceofTsar Alexey Mikhailovichbuilt in 1667 by a passage gallery. In the 1760s, when the royal palace was re-built on a new site, the church became parochial. Nowadays, services and masses are held in thechurchofOur LadyofKazanall the year round.