On the territory of the Izmailovo Island there are Front Gate and Back Gate that were built in 1682-1683 as well as the stone wall and household structures along the perimeter of the Tsar’s Courtyard. All the structures were built around the palace. The general architectural conception of the Izmailovo Tsar’s Courtyard belonged to Tsar Alexey Mikhailovich, and his son Fedor Alexeevich continued the construction.
The Tsar’s Courtyard was built in the center part of the island. The Back Gate served as the entrance to the Izmailovo Island for those coming from Stromynka Street (crossing the Vislaya dam and passing by a tent wooden tower). Over the broad driveway and two smaller passages of the Back Gate there were two clocks as well as terraces and attic floor painted in black and white with a tent tower on the top. The tower was covered with “white German iron” (tinned iron sheets). The Front Gate was identical in design as it was built after the same project.
The Back and Front Gates have survived till our days. In the 1840’s, Konstantin Ton reconstructed the high parapet over the driveway.
The Back Gate was designed in Moscow (or Naryshkin) Baroque, but West-European Baroque influenced significantly the design of the ground storey. The broad driveway is built right in the center of the ground storey with two narrow passages placed symmetrically on its both sides and two pairs of white columns standing on the high tetrahedral pedestals. Smooth-surface columns decorate the corners of the ground storey. The double central columns support the arch imitating that of the driveway. Such duplication in the construction and decoration of the arch was typical of Baroque architecture.
The first storey is designed in old Moscow architectural style. Right over the driveway there is an octagon structure crowned with a tent tower with small windows. The forms of the faceted octagon tower and tent roof as well as the triangle architraves of windows refer to the architecture of the past times. This architectural eclecticism clearly demonstrates the penetration of European traditions in Moscow architectural style at the last third of the 17th century.