This vast section of the museum stock represents photo materials on history and architecture of Kolomenskoye village and counts over 60,000 units. The collection consists of valuable and rare photographs dating back from the end of the XIX century to the beginning of the XX century, album collections of photos, black and white glass plate negative proofs made in the 1920s – the 1930s, lantern slides dating back to the beginning of the XX century, modern coloured film negatives and slides, including those issued by printing houses, as well as audio and video records.
Nizhnyaya Street, Kolomenskoye village, the 1930s
Photo by Ivan Barschevsky
Milestones in the History of Kolomenskoye exposition
At the Front Gate fof the Tsar’s Courtyard in Kolomenskoye
Photographs taken by Ivan Barschevsky, honoured artist, make the core of the collection.
Ivan Fedorovich Barschevsky
Photograph taken at the end of the 1890s
St. Petersburg, H.Rentz and F.Schrader photo workshop
Ivan Fedorovich Barschevsky (1851-1948) was a photographer of the Imperial Academy of Arts and Imperial Society of Archaeology, archaeologist, ethnographer, restorer and historian, participant of an acquisition company to Syria and Palestine organized by art historian Nikodim Kondakov in 1891.
Participants of the acquisition company toSyriaandPalestine
headed by art historian Nikodim Kondakov
Ivan Barschevsky is sitting in the second rank, third from the right
Barschevsky, who contributed greatly to the creation of the photo collection, was curator and later director of the Russian Antiquity museum inSmolensk. From 1933 to 1938, he worked at Kolomenskoye Museum-Reserve. Among his photographs taken at the end of the XIX century one can see those depicting unique architectural sites ofYaroslavland other cities, related to the creation of museums in Talashkino nearSmolenskand inSmolenskproper by Princess Maria Tenisheva, or showing the family members and friends of the photographer.
Ivan Barschevsky (on the left) and Peter Dmirtievich Baranovsky, creator and the first director of the museum in Kolomenskoye, architect and restorer, with his daughter Olga
TheMoscowportrait photograph of the end of the XIX century and the beginning of the XX century is represented by a number of masters (M.Gribov, Yu. Kh. Mebius, G.V.Trunov, L.V.Lvov, A.G.Boyko, I.K.Maslov, P.N.Barbashov) that made portraits of peasants of Kolomenskoye and Sadovaya Sloboda villages nearMoscow.
Anna Petrovna Shipkina (Barabanova) and Peter Fedorovich Shipkin,
peasants of Sadovaya Sloboda village, with their daughter Anna
Moscow, the 1890s, photograph taken by I.K.Maslov
The museum stock comprises works of photographers of St.Petersburg and other cities. Photographs of the same period taken by unknown Moscow authors characterize both the spiritual and everyday life aspects of the life of Muscovites and country residents that lived near Moscow. A large section of the collection is devoted to photographs taken during the 1920s and the 1930s and related to the creation of the museum in Kolomenskoye, its stock and the first expositions.
Archaeological excavations at Dyakovo Settlement
headed by archaeologist Konstantin Vinogradov,
director of the museum in Kolomenskoye at the time
Photograph taken by Ivan Barschevsky
Fragment of the exposition Decorative Tooling of Stone in the Time of the Decadence of Feudalism
In the former refectory of St. George Church
Photograph taken by Ivan Barschevsky
Speaking of the 1930s, it is interesting to note reporting photographs taken by B.P.Kudoyarov and Herdt in the villageof Kolomenskoyein the time of Backyard Giant collective farm foundation. The photographs reflect an enthusiastic mood of Moscow Region residents.
“Red carts” of the Backyard Giant collective farm
Photograph taken by B.P.Kudoyarov and Herdt
Architectural photographs taken by non-professional photographers make an important part of the collection. Among them there is a photograph of the ancient Church of the Ascension at the period of its restoration (1913-1917) taken by a young architect and restorer Boris Zasypkin, as well as photographs of St. George Bell Tower and refectory and the Church of Beheading of St. John the Forerunner in Dyakovo taken at the time when the above-mentioned architectural sites were undergoing a research carried out by Peter Baranovsky, Dmitry Sukhov and Nikolay Sveshnikov.
Church of the Ascension in staging,
Restoration of the tent-roof carried out by architect Nikolay Markovnikov
Photograph taken by architect Boris Zasypkin
Photographs of the period from the 1950s to the 1970s remind of the studies of the North, the Volga Region and Siberia (the Siberian town ofBratsk). Photographs of this series were taken by participants of research missions (Igor Makovetsky and others). Another considerable part of the stock represents photographs of museum exhibits (Old Russian painting, graphics, handwritten and old printed books, wood carving, metal objects, ceramics, china, white stone, archaeological and ethnographic items). Photographs dated back from the 1920s up to the present illustrate the exhibition and educational aspects of the museum activities.
OldAscensionGardenin Kolomenskoye, photograph taken by Ivan Barschevsky
Exposition on the ground floor of the Church of the Ascension in Kolomenskoye
Photograph taken of A.P.Lebedev