Church of the Ascension

The Church of the Ascension (1532), the first tent-roof stone church inRussia, was built by an Italian architect, supposedly Pietro Annibale (Little Petrok), at the order of Moscow Grand Prince Vasily III. In 1994 it was included into UNESCO World Heritage List.

Now it is a functional Orthodox church that enjoys the high status of a patriarchal metochion. Worship is served on large holidays; for the rest of the year the church is open for the visitors as a museum exposition.

Share to LiveJournal
Share to MyWorld
Share to Odnoklassniki