Architectural Landmarks

Saviour (Back) Gate and Streltsy Guard-house (Kolomenskoye)

The Saviour Gate built in the 1670s, at the same time as the walls of the Tsar’s Courtyard, served as an entrance to the household part of the estate. The gate was named after the Christ the Saviour icon, one of those located over the driveway arches. Another name known since olden times is the Back Gate. The gate has a broad driveway and a smaller passage; the gate doors used to be solid. The Streltsy Guard-houses adjoined the gate on the south. It was built in the 1680s and served to provide security inside and outside the Tsar’s residence.

Household structure or Mead Brewery (Kolomenskoye)

In 1927, the Mead Brewery, one of the examples of wooden architecture in Kolomenskoye, was transported to the estate from the territory of the former village of Preobrazhenskoye. The Mead Brewery used to be a household structure of the former St. Nicolas Monastery of Common Faith and served for cooking mead-based drinks. One can be really amazed with the monumental structure of the Mead Brewery, a rare example of Moscow architecture of that period of history. In 2001, repair and restoration works aimed at the prevention of any possible damage were held. Nowadays, one can attend tourist cultural programs and

Walls of Tsar’s Courtyard (Kolomenskoye)

The massive blind stone wall that adjoins the Back Gate from the north-west and continues toward the Church of Our Lady of Kazan as well as the wall of the Food Yard are extant elements of the wall of the Tsar’s Courtyard built in the XVII century. All the structures of the Tsar’s Courtyard in Kolomenskoye summer residence were built simultaneously in the 1670s. The wall and its gates were an integral part of the Tsar’s Courtyard complex. The Front Gate served as gala entrance to the estate while the Back Gate was mainly used for household needs as well

Wall and Foundation of the Food Yard (Kolomenskoye)

The Food Yard wall was built at the same time as the Back Gate. Its western part faced the so-calledMoscowroad while the eastern one looked on the household yard. Almost the entire wall made part of certain household structures and simultaneously served as the western wall of the Food and Bread Yards. The mentioned premises built in 1667-1668, the same time as the Palace of Tsar Alexey Mikhailovich, represented a complex of stone household structures that included bakery, food storage facility and a kitchen where different dishes of meat, fish, vegetables and grain were cooked. By the middle of the

The Memorial Pole dedicated to the abolition of serfdom in Russia (Kolomesnkoye)

The Memorial Pole was erected presumably in 1881 after the death of Alexander II by peasants of the Shaydorovo village in gratitude to the Emperor for the abolition of serfdom inRussia. It was installed in the middle of a street or crossroad so that everyone could look at it from different points. In the 1970s, during the demolition of houses in thevillageofShaydorovoin order to start new construction, this monument was transported to the Kolomenskoye museum for temporary storage. Nowadays, the monument is installed on the territory of the Tsar’s Courtyard in the central part of Kolomenskoye Estate Ensemble of the

Petitions Column (Kolomenskoye)

The column, an architecture monument of the XVII century, stood near the main façade of the originalPalaceofTsar Alexey Mikhailovichthat has not been preserved. According to legends it was the place where petitions were put such as complaints or requests written to the Tsar as well as announcing the Tsar’s orders and verdicts. During theSoviet Uniontime a sun-clock was installed there, that is why it was alternatively known as the Clock Column. The Petitions Column is a cylindrical structure built of big blocks (31х14.5х8.5 cm). It is103 cmhigh, the diametre of the central part is75 cmand the height of the socle

Passage Gate Tower of the Karelian Monastery of Saint Nicholas (Museum of Wooden Architecture, Kolomenskoye)

The exposition makes part of the Museum of Wooden Architecture. A legend has it that the monastery was founded by St. Euphemius of Karelia at the turn of the XV century. It was situated at the Northern Dvina outflow, not far from the White Sea. The monastery was first mentioned in a chronicle in 1419. Gradually it became the first Russian sea port that accepted overseas ships and for a hundred years remained an important traffic centre. In 1731, the writer and great scientist Mikhail Lomonosov set for studies to Moscow from the monastery. At the end of the XVII

Mokhovaya (Moss) Tower of Sumskoy Stockaded Fort (Museum of Wooden Architecture, Kolomenskoye)

The Sumskoy Stockaded Fort located on the shore of theWhite Seawas built of wood as many other Russian forts of the XVI and XVII centuries. Fortification skill of Russian fort builders was on such a high level that walls and towers could stand fire military attacks. Only the north-western (Mokhovaya) tower of the Sumskoy Stockaded Fort built at the beginning of the 1680s has been preserved till our days and was stored dismantled for a long time at the Kolomenskoye museum. This monument has a greatest historical and architectural significance as no other wooden monument of defensive architecture is left

Tower of Bratsk Stockaded Fort (Museum of Wooden Architecture, Kolomenskoye)

The stockaded fort situated on the left bank of the Angara River. The fort had three towers that surmounted household structures and one passage-tower with a barn and chapel. By the beginning of the 18th century the Bratsk stockaded fort had lost its military significance. In the 19th century the remaining south-western and north-western towers became part of the church fence in the Bratskoye village. During the construction of the Bratsk hydro power station, the territory of the stockaded fort turned out to be within the boundaries of a planned storage pond. Before flooding the old town of Bratsk the

St George the Victorious Church, 1685 (Museum of Wooden Architecture, Kolomenskoye)

The wooden church named after great martyr St. George the Victorious was built in the North of Russia, on the bank of the shallow Yorga River, right tributary of the full-flowing Northern Dvina Riverin its upper reaches. It was a cold church with no Russian oven and services were held there only during warm seasons. The church was located in the centre of the Srednepogostsky parish, standing separately from neighboring villages. At the end of the XVII century, there were two other wooden structures nearby: a bell tower and a heated Church of the Nativity that was built in the